Mozilla Will Demo a Smart Phone OS This Year

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Mozilla Will Demo a Smart Phone OS This Year

Postby rolf » 22 Feb 2012, 17:16

Of all places, my first inkling that this was happening came from a headline in my copy of today's Oakland Tribune:

Mozilla to take on mobile Web

I see hits @ google that go back to 2010, so maybe it is only news to me! :berserk2

Mozilla Will Demo a Smart Phone OS This Year wrote:Here’s how the foundation describes B2G :

“Boot to Gecko is a project to build a[n] OS that runs HTML5, JavaScript and CSS directly on device hardware without the need for an intermediate OS layer. The system will include a rich user experience, new APIs that expose the power of modern mobile phones through simple JavaScript interfaces; a privilege model to safely and consistently deliver these capabilities to websites and apps with the user in control. Boot to Gecko leverages BrowserID, the Open Web app ecosystem and an identity and apps model that puts users and developers in control."

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Mozilla Will Demo a Smart Phone OS This Year

Postby viking60 » 22 Feb 2012, 17:38

Interesting!
I think they will need a Hardware partner though. Only geeks will download and install themselves.
And they could install Gnome3 for that matter which is mainly Javascript and CSS.
If it only is a matter of downloading the browser to the cellphone then it is another matter, but I suspect the native system might "protest".
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Feb 2012, 02:36

Well, I'm the native, and I say it's about damn time! Gimme gimme gimme! I have been DYING to get a browser other than Opera Mini, which has its limitations, and other than the default browser on my Sammy. :)

What about flash though? Is the HTML5 still supposed to render it null and void? I ask because I've been noticing that at regular online HTML5 sites via PC, they still ask for flash to be installed. It sure would be nice if it rendered it null and void on smart phones, to where we didn't need it to view flash content.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Feb 2012, 02:37

(I've kind of taken a loathing to flash.)

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Feb 2012, 23:18

Flash is pretty much going to be replaced by HTML5. All the big ones are going for it.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 25 Feb 2012, 01:45

Kewl! :)
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 27 Feb 2012, 19:23

viking60 wrote:Flash is pretty much going to be replaced by HTML5. All the big ones are going for it.

As Steve Jobs wanted....

I think the industry did not changed when he told them because the Industry wanted to piss him off :lol:

Return to “Linux News”