Sony prevails in Linux law suit case

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Sony prevails in Linux law suit case

Postby viking60 » 14 Dec 2011, 17:04

ImageRemember that in early 2010, Sony decided to roll out an update that would remove the ability for PlayStation 3 owners to install a different operating system?
Clearly this was aimed at Linux since they kept bragging of compatibility with that other OS.
And only the most naive of the naive will believe that Sony was not "helped" in that decision.
A Californian user (you are under suspicion rolf :-D ) was angry enough over this to sue Sony who simply reduced the functionality of their product.
This has now been dismissed in a Californian court.
Basically the message from the court is that Sony is being stupid - but that is not illegal.
But if you do not download Firmware update 3.21 you can continue to install Linux on Sony PS3. Of course you will be punished by Sony in the form of no updates. :Doh:
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Re: Sony prevails in Linux law suit case

Postby rolf » 14 Dec 2011, 17:17

I saw that. When I first got the PS3, I installed "Other OS", yellowdog linux, istr. Then, one of an endless stream of software updates erased it along with the option. You have to agree or you don't get the update and things stop working. Sony really irritates me. I don't have time for lawsuits (or the money). :f :berserk2

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 15 Dec 2011, 13:37

I tend to agree with the court here.

Is Sony's product and if they feel another OS might "conflict" with other things (we all know the whole rap sheet of things) they cannot make it easier to modify.

Ok, granted; in another hand is bad PR by been so anal. I have a PS3 and use it as a PS3 (mostly for Hulu, Netflix, DVD/Blue Ray, few games and other things), if I want a Linux Device I use a computer and now day is so easy to attach to a TV.

BTW, who has a Roku? I bought one for $99.99 no tax, no shipping and has a motion type remote.
Very nifty thing... and has Tux inside :T
Last edited by R_Head on 20 Dec 2011, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 17 Dec 2011, 20:37

R_Head wrote:I tend to agree with the court here.

Is Sony's product and if they feel another OS might "conflict" with other things (we all know the whole rap sheet of things) they cannot make it easier to modify.

Ok, granted; in another hand is bad PR by been so anal. I have a PS3 and use it as a PS3 (mostly for Hulu, Netflix, DVD/Blue Ray, few games and other things), if I want a Linux Device I use a computer and now day is so easy to attach to a TV.

+1 - they never claimed not to be proprietary. Deal with it, or don't use them.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 18 Dec 2011, 00:33

dedanna1029 wrote:+1 - they never claimed not to be proprietary. Deal with it, or don't use them.

No one (except you) has said anything about proprietary. WRT this particular irritation I have with Sony, the "other OS" was marketed as something I was getting for my money. Then it was disabled after I shelled out. "Proprietary" has nothing to do with it.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 20 Dec 2011, 02:18

All of this is because it's proprietary though. I wasn't referring specifically to rolf's post. I was referring to the situation on the whole.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Linux News”