Ice Cream Sandwich! (Android4)

The newest distros the lastest Nvidia driver, gadgets .....

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Ice Cream Sandwich! (Android4)

Postby viking60 » 24 Oct 2011, 10:08

ImageGoogle has released Android4
Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) unveiled Android 4.0, aka "Ice Cream Sandwich," in Hong Kong on Wednesday. The presentation was accompanied by Samsung's announcement of the Galaxy Nexus, the first smartphone running Ice Cream Sandwich.
The Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Ice Cream Sandwich is a redesign of the Android OS. It has a highly visual interface, a facial-recognition feature and home-screen folders.

It will work on both Smartphones and tablets
It has a new font, reportedly named "Roboto," that's optimized for HD displays, and it can use adaptable software buttons instead of hardware buttons.
Ice Cream Sandwich has interactive notifications and resizable widgets, a faster browser a refined tab manager, and it can sync bookmarks with Google Chrome.
Further, Ice Cream Sandwich has a new People app, which combines high-resolution photos and updates from social networking services, including Google+.

Lots of goodies and it will also have facial recognition.....
I wonder what does anyone need facial recognition for? Most people have a mirror these days where the more or less brutal truth, will be reviled. So why do you need to recognize you own face?
If it is to recognize the face of others, it stinks! And even more so if it is to be stored on a Google service who will shamelessly use your face for commercial purposes, (Google will sell the faces of every Dalai Lama fan to Chinese authorities if the payment fits).
Others have it too, but that does not make it any better. I needed to fit my usual rant here because it cannot be said often enough. Moving on...

What is really interesting about Android 4 is that Google has released the source code. As they did not with Android3/Honeycomb.
If you want to compile it you need 16GB RAM and it will take two hours! That is a heavy duty order.
This is for the platform (almost unbelievable). To build the Apps you will need far less.
Still, Google can claim they are working with open source again - and we like that +1 Even if you need the Roadrunner to compile it
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich! (Android4)

Postby R_Head » 24 Oct 2011, 13:04

viking60 wrote:Lots of goodies and it will also have facial recognition.....

Is that a goodie? :twisted:

Been sarcastic here too :mrgreen:

I wonder if you can root the phone and turn the crap off? :think:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Oct 2011, 15:34

Well theoretically you can. Since the code now is open and "available". That is the part we like! :-D I hope it will be possible to turn it off within the system as is.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 24 Oct 2011, 19:50

What I am really afraid is the phone can come active and start recording/listening, taking pics/video and reporting to the mothership if someone wants to spy on you. If you add Lytro technology you can play Blade Runner with you :twisted:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 24 Oct 2011, 21:59

Well Apple has it already. For your safety iSomethings can phone home and take pics in case they are stolen. The only problem is who is controlling the smartphone once it is stolen?
Apple! But everybody trusts them ofcourse.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 25 Oct 2011, 12:50

Chuch Apple? I thought was Church Windows :twisted:

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 25 Oct 2011, 17:39

I keep telling you people to turn off location on your phones, then you have nothing to worry about. Such a simple act, yet everyone's too lazy to do it. They'd rather bitch, moan, and complain about the listening. If you can't get up off yer lazy arse to do it, then quit the bitching.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 Oct 2011, 18:28

That is not true. It does not help a bit to turn location off because the phone is constantly contacting the nearest base station for signals. So your whereabouts are constantly monitored.
It will help to turn off the phone though.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 25 Oct 2011, 21:54

That is true my dear Nordic friend. The ON-OFF switch is a soft-key and not a mechanical switch like some Laptops used to have. The best truly way to disable is as mentioned before and is to turn the phone off, no in stand by, just turn the whole thing off. Another thing is, since they are going slimmer each time, the only way to turn it completely off is to remove the battery so now you cannot even remove the battery like the iPhone.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 28 Oct 2011, 00:09

The Linux community is exited about Ice Cream Sandwitch and Tablets are rushed out in time for Chritmas with this new OS. The Market leader has stepped it up - and it is hard to see how Win Mobiles will be able to compete with this. And that is bad news for Windows and Nokia, because it is out one year before Windows8.
http://pogson.6k.ca/
Hey Microsoft – here is a clue for you. I have an Adroid phone, and I love it, and I don’t appreciate you threatening the manufacturer of my phone. Get the point? If you can’t make a good phone, give it up, and go make something else. There are endless things you could invent with your billions without going around threatening to take away people’s phones. Just leave the rest of us alone

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 28 Oct 2011, 13:01

According to some reports, MS is sucking from HTC about $15 per Android phone they sell because of some stupid patent.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 28 Oct 2011, 13:18

Oh Yes Microsoft is making way more money with with Android than with Win7 phone. It is not clear what the patent actually is but the HW-producers pay "protection" money. They do not have the time nor the resources to go up against a big Law firm like Microsoft.
The so called IP licensing is a license for Microsoft intellectual property.
As far as I can tell no one knows what that Intellectual property is supposed to be. But everybody knows they are going to be harassed by Microsoft if they do not pay up.
In the case of Samsung they do not claim to own anything of Android but get a license fee for every phone (including Android phones) that is sold, due to the wast potential of win phone that Samsung then is allowed to sell.
“Microsoft and Samsung see the opportunity for dramatic growth in Windows Phone and we’re investing to make that a reality,” said Andy Lees, president, Windows Phone Division, Microsoft. “Microsoft believes in a model where all our partners can grow and profit based on our platform.”

I don't think the MS-people believe that themselves anymore. They have delivered to little to late, for a long time and are outclassed by Google and Apple.
To round this up here is a pic. of the leading MS Intellectual - representing the quality of Microsoft's intellectual property:

Return to “Linux News”