Windows game on Linux?

Linux gaming

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

HBLEY

Windows game on Linux?

Postby HBLEY » 30 Mar 2017, 13:16

Hi I don't know if its a dumb question to ask but I was wondering if all new PC games can be played on Linux? is it possible?

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Windows game on Linux?

Postby R_Head » 30 Mar 2017, 23:59

Some games can be played with Wine or have if set up with Virtual Box. Defeats the performance purpose using an emulator, however, run a Dual Boot system and use MS to run your games only. That is what I will do to keep things simple if can put up with the Rebooting to play games. On the bright side... even if MS calls the mothership, all they are getting is gaming habits. :lol:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 01 Apr 2017, 00:00

Steam Games like Team Fortress run on native Linux. In fact the Valve box is Linux....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

HBLEY

Postby HBLEY » 10 Apr 2017, 15:28

R_Head wrote:Some games can be played with Wine or have if set up with Virtual Box. Defeats the performance purpose using an emulator, however, run a Dual Boot system and use MS to run your games only. That is what I will do to keep things simple if can put up with the Rebooting to play games. On the bright side... even if MS calls the mothership, all they are getting is gaming habits. :lol:

:jackpot Glad to hear it!

Indeed true :-D

HBLEY

Postby HBLEY » 10 Apr 2017, 15:29

viking60 wrote:Steam Games like Team Fortress run on native Linux. In fact the Valve box is Linux....

Yup I am installing steam on my linux! Thanks for the help bro :)

HBLEY

Postby HBLEY » 10 Apr 2017, 15:30

mariad wrote:
HBLEY wrote:Hi I don't know if its a dumb question to ask but I was wondering if all new PC games can be played on Linux? is it possible?

You can run Windows steam games on Linux through WINE. Though it will be a huge amount easier just running Linux Steam games on Ubuntu, it IS possible to run some of the windows games (though it may be slower). ... You can install steam on it and play your games just like you would in Windows.

Yes I know, performance will ack. But at least I'd be playing some Windows game on Linux now. Thanks for the help :cheers

HBLEY

Postby HBLEY » 19 Apr 2017, 15:54

mariad wrote:
HBLEY wrote:
mariad wrote:You can run Windows steam games on Linux through WINE. Though it will be a huge amount easier just running Linux Steam games on Ubuntu, it IS possible to run some of the windows games (though it may be slower). ... You can install steam on it and play your games just like you would in Windows.

Yes I know, performance will ack. But at least I'd be playing some Windows game on Linux now. Thanks for the help :cheers

Most welcome, enjoy gaming.Which games do you play mostly if you don't mind sharing?

Oh definitely I can share my huge list (not bragging :P)

No.1 in my list is Ghost Recon Wildlands,
2. Rainbow Six Siege.
3. Arma 3,
4. Horizon,
5. Fifa 17

These 5 are my regulars these days,

All the names includes the likes of Resident Evil 7, UFC 2, PES 2017, Hitman (sucks ewww), CS GO, BF (all series), DOOM and so much more that I am actually forgetting right now :P

HBLEY

Postby HBLEY » 29 Apr 2017, 11:14

mariad wrote:well, with FIFA i am regular, need to look at Ghost Recon Wildlands, heard a lot about it. Rainbow Six siege is a great game, love it.

Well, I am glad that we share some good games. Share your PSN id so we can play a round or two together.

gnuuser
Berserk

Postby gnuuser » 24 May 2019, 00:54

a large percentage of windows games have a linux counterpart
but Im not a gamer so it doesn't matter to me.
many dos based games play through emulators just fine as well as many working dos programs.
registered Linux user number 505431
Amateur radio call sign KC3TEC
miracle (mere-ack-ull) :
the aspiration of the indigent, the expectation of the indolent, and the inspiration of the ignorant.

Im so old even dirt was my apprentice!

Return to “Gaming”