business like internet and gaming cafe

Linux gaming

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

wileena

business like internet and gaming cafe

Postby wileena » 09 Jun 2014, 08:09

Linux OS for internet and gaming shop? I am planning to put up a business like internet and gaming cafe... what operating system is good to be use, linux or windows? is linux are good for that compare to windows? is linux good for gaming and networking?
Last edited by wileena on 10 Jun 2014, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: business like internet and gaming cafe

Postby viking60 » 09 Jun 2014, 10:27

Well stopforumspam.org is down for maintenance and I am in a good mood today, even if the likelihood of spam from India is over 90 %.
So I will answer but remember that if you come back here and edit some "must buy" links in your signature you will be out of here faster than you can spell Kali.
Linux is good for some Valve games and Valves Steambox is actually 100% Linux.
Games like Team Fortress do play perfectly on Linux. Team Fortress is Free but you can spend money in the store to get cool hats and weapons etc.

Linux is the preffered platform for the biggest game producer in the world so it will grow in importance.

Windows does still have the capability to play a lot of games - and probably more than Linux can at this point. But the trend is that those High end games are played with consoles like Xbox. Playstation and Steambox so the PC will take care of more Low end games (often with a better plot but less graphics).

So Linux is good for gaming and networking - so is Windows. In my experience Linux is better and securer on networking and I truly dislike the Samba protocol.
In the old days many would say that Windows was easier to use - but that is not the case anymore. So I guess it is a draw,
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Re: business like internet and gaming cafe

Postby Snorkasaurus » 09 Jun 2014, 13:41

I'd like to add that viking60 told me about PlayOnLinux just a few short months ago and I found it to be a pretty awesome list of games (and other apps) that have essentially been compiled in a big list with the most appropriate versions of wine with the most appropriate settings.

:s

S.

Return to “Gaming”