game developers hate Linux

Linux gaming

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

mozainaa

game developers hate Linux

Postby mozainaa » 04 Apr 2014, 11:31

Why do game developers hate Linux? Linux, Mac, and Windows supports OpenGL so why would anyone use DirectX? I realize the APIs are a little easier, but they are professionals not hobbiest. They are not reaching an large market by ignoring Linux and Mac. The games that do have Mac ports that do use OpenGL, why not create a Linux port?
Last edited by mozainaa on 05 Apr 2014, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: game developers hate Linux

Postby viking60 » 04 Apr 2014, 12:30

Game developers don't hate Linux; Valve loves it and they are the biggest around.
This experience lead to the question: why does an OpenGL version of our game run faster than Direct3D on Windows 7? It appears that it’s not related to multitasking overhead. We have been doing some fairly close analysis and it comes down to a few additional microseconds overhead per batch in Direct3D which does not affect OpenGL on Windows. Now that we know the hardware is capable of more performance, we will go back and figure out how to mitigate this effect under Direct3D.

I am no Mac expert though
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Gaming”