Poseidon a new lightweight Browser

What do you have and what do you want?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Poseidon a new lightweight Browser

Postby viking60 » 25 Feb 2018, 01:32

Most Browsers are based on Chrome or Mozilla these days but this is not the case with Poseidon
It comes with built in ad-blocker and script-blocker and No plugins and user agent switcher ++++.

You can enable and disable with simple radio buttons. All functions can be used by short-cuts and you can open an integrated terminal in the browser (F4 or via the menu).

I must admit I like it and it comes Spectre patched out of the box.

Now this is a fairly new project but I must admit that I like the simplicity of it without missing much.

It does not have lots and lots of plugins like Mozilla or Chrome but the important stuff is integrated and there is a "Defcon" function that should secure your browsing even more.
I am going to test it for a while and report back....
I tested Poseidon for WebRTC leaks and it passed with flying colors :s I tested it for Canvas fingerprint and got a better result than with other browsers.

Poseidon seems very secure and comes with DuckDuckGo as a default search engine - that does send the right privacy minded signal.
However I prefere https://searx.me so I entered it in the settings and saved it - no problem.

The only thing I miss here is the password-manager. Poseidon has a password generator though where you ca generate huge passwords and copy them to the clipboard...but you need a password manager for those complex passwords...

The cookie manager is nice and shows all cookies set and you may delete those you do not need. In my case there were cookies set by nissan.no which probably came from some adds on some newspaper site...I simply deleted them.

Time to check out what "Finder" is so I started it with <CTRL>+ "F" and got a nice search bar at the bottom ot the page.
I wrote some words that I know are in this forum and it brought me the results...better that the integrated search on the top right!

This is a great feature where you can search every site for content wheter it has a search function of its own or not :B

I found the theming to be Spartan and checked how to fix that...It turns out that you can rightclik any Picture and set it as the theme of Poseidon.
It is only the top bar as it is in most browsers and this is practical.

Yeah I am charmed by this one and find me using it more and more instead of my main Browser -Vivaldi.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Poseidon a new lightweight Browser

Postby R_Head » 25 Feb 2018, 17:34

Keep us posted, looks promising

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Poseidon a new lightweight Browser

Postby viking60 » 26 Feb 2018, 11:25

I have found that the integratede addblocker does not block adds that efficiently. That needs to be fixed.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Software”