Qtox the secure skype replacement

What do you have and what do you want?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Qtox the secure skype replacement

Postby viking60 » 30 Dec 2017, 00:59

My Skype profile is "Hi NSA!" ...because I like to be polite with everyone involved...

Since Microsoft has taken over skype it is not working properly with the old profiles. It might be possible to reinstall and put the userid and password in the "cloud" but that would be even more insecure so this is a good opportunity to find a good replacement...

I have checked around and found qtox which has end to end encryption and contains both chat and video and also file transfers.
The guys behind it have the right attitude too:
What makes Tox different?
Tox is made by the people who use it — people fed up with the existing options that spy on us, track us, censor us, and keep us from innovating.
There are no corporate interests, and no hidden agendas. Just simple and secure messaging that is easy to use.

So I found it in the Manjaro repos and installed it.
It should be in your repos too and if not; here is a Howto install it on your Distro - Including Mageia.'
:A
https://www.ostechnix.com/tox-messenger ... ive-skype/

It looks good even if I thought I had only gotten a new chat client. After entering the settings symbol I found Audio and Video settings and had video up an running after a few clicks - nothing to it.

The beauty of this thing is that it does not require a server - you simply get a super long ID that you have to share with your friends and they have to use this when adding you to the "friends" list.

You can find your id by clicking on the icon on the top left.
This thing looks promising indeed.
Tox is similar to Microsoft’s Skype application. However, unlike skype, Tox doesn’t rely on any central server. It is completely relies on encrypted peer-to-peer networking, also it is fast, secure and safe way to communicate with your friends and buddies.

How about you installing it and help me testing it - we can exchange Id's via pm or even better by encrypted mail. :?:

PS
qtox is only one client for Tox there are others - like utox or Antox for Android etc.
:A
https://tox.chat/clients.html
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Qtox the secure skype replacement

Postby viking60 » 30 Dec 2017, 02:43

You can add a bot-friend here
https://toxme.io/u/echobot

To test and set up Tox (it is real easy) If ,you like you can register and get hundreds of friends - but that again defies the whole privacy thing since you have to trust a third party (don't get me wrong I think the services connected with Tox are pretty OK but this is a third party and there are perverts there that you do not want as a friend)
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 30 Dec 2017, 18:24

Interesting... will like to give it a shot :think:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 31 Dec 2017, 18:33

have tried to install qtux in Mageia 5 ...and it does not work.
Adding those repos does not work either.
I might be rusty with Mageia but I would hope it is possible since I am helping out someone with it...

Return to “Software”