Windows free and crap-free downloads

What do you have and what do you want?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Windows free and crap-free downloads

Postby viking60 » 20 Aug 2017, 11:09

There are a lot of free programs for Windows; in fact you can use free apps for nearly all your Windows computing.

But! In the Windows world Free Apps are not so Free and downloads can be complicated - on purpose to make you download something else.

If you are the impatient type and have got the right download then you install it fast by clicking OK and OK and OK..and thereby accepting add-bars and other "handy" extensions to your browser

It will fill your computer with a load of crap +1

Now there is a site - Ninite - where you can pick the download and then you will be asked to download a custom installer.

In fact you don't have to install it and can simply run the exe and it will clear your App from crap-ware and also keep track of updates - without crapping your computer!
It is free but you can spend money on a pro version....

Time well spent to keep crap away if you ask me...
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Windows free and crap-free downloads

Postby R_Head » 20 Aug 2017, 14:55

Interesting, an application store for MS.

There is one thing that always bothers me, is trust. I have no trust on MS. Makes me wonder if is a Troyan; some to install any sort of spyware without your consent. The MS system has lots of hidden layers. For example, the Register. Searching and looking for things it can be hard, like looking for a needle in a haystack.

The only wat I know to keep MS safe is by installing the applications that I know, disabling the Auto Update and use it as little as possible. That is why I use once in a Blue Moon MS at home.

However, I use MS at work because that is what is given to me. I do not go on the web because MS is not safe enough and the Corp tracks my use. For that, I use my smart phone. Is not better but keeping it separated my browsing habits is a start.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Windows free and crap-free downloads

Postby viking60 » 20 Aug 2017, 16:06

This does prevent spyware
“This post can be fairly short because Ninite works exactly as advertised.”
Lifehacker
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Software”