DNSCrypt Bug?!

What do you have and what do you want?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

DNSCrypt Bug?!

Postby viking60 » 10 Aug 2016, 08:46

After the latest update my internet was gone!
I use DNSCrypt (and Dnsmasq as cache).

In Dnscrypt I can choose from a list of resolvers that offer encrypted DNS traffic, that otherwise is in plain text.

It is important that you check these providers because you need to trust them.

Usually it is a good idea to stay away from the "Five eyes" countries because they have a culture of surveillance that involves monitoring the internet traffic of their own populations and exchanging those data.

So OpenDNS from Cisco is out.

Here is the list of providers that you can choose from:

https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-pr ... olvers.csv

One of these needs to be put into the DNSCrypt config file which you will find in:
/usr/lib/systemd/system/dnscrypt-proxy.service

And here I finally get to the point:

After the latest update this file gets replaced with the new default one that does not have any resolver!
It used to have a default resolver so it could work right out of the box - dnscrypt.eu-nl - but not anymore.

Since they decided not to put any default resolver in there; they did also not make a routine to preserve your settings which means that your internet will be gone after the update.

So you will have to put it back in there like this:

Code: Select all

-R dnscrypt.eu-nl

(replace it with whatever resolver you choose).

This might be a "feature" - but it will cut you off from the internet.

You can check that your internet - in general - is still working with the Tor browser which will work regardless of your DNScrypt settings or by adding:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

in /etc/resolv.conf

This Bug manifested itself in Manjaro and probably Arch but it seems to be from upstream. Most Distros will probably take care of this for you ( but you should pick your own resolver - really!).

Just a heads up!
:A
https://bugs.manjaro.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=8
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: DNSCrypt Bug?!

Postby viking60 » 04 Jun 2017, 22:20

Solution:
enter your resolver in /etc/dnscrypt-proxy.conf
search for ResolverName and place your resolver right after it.
like this

ResolverName dnscrypt.eu-nl

There is no need to edit /usr/lib/systemd/system/dnscrypt-proxy.service (and you shouldn't)
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Software”