Xdman superfast downloader with browser integration

What do you have and what do you want?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Xdman superfast downloader with browser integration

Postby viking60 » 09 May 2016, 14:47

I came across Xdman today and decided to try it.
It can speed up your downloads by 500% - and I want that - so I installed it +1

Then I started "Xtreme Download Manager" from the menu and read how to integrate it with Chrome. I assumed that it would be the same in Chromium - which it was.
:A

So I wrote

Code: Select all

chrome://extensions/
in the URL line of Chromium and followed the instructions that I found unter Tools->Browser Integration in the Xdman menu.
Nothing to it.

Now I am Downloading Ubuntu and it seems to be faster than usual. Xdman presents a nice download window that shows the speed and progress.

While I was downloading I altered the settings under Options since I wanted a different download location than ~/

This did not interrupt the download since Xdman works with a tmp directory that was created during install- This can be previewed during download by pressing the "preview" button.

/home/viking/.xdm/temp/e8ccb2a0-0b92-47e7-bc41-9421f30e25ca/

Here you will see several files that are constantly changing.

The Firefox integration should be the easiest but when I dragged the link to the URL line of FF; it was denied - probably due to my many security settings there.
I have Privacy badger and Better Privacy turned on so they might be behind this,

I decided to drop the integration with FF and keep it on Chromium, but I am sure I could have integrated it fairly easily by temporarily turning off my many security apps.

Xtreme download manager presents itself in a much better and understandable way than the usual browser download info.
This is a popup windows started automatically by Chromium.

Since this is Java based it will work on all platforms: Linux Windows and Mac. :tux5:

If you do not have Xdman in your repos here is how you can install it:
64-bit

$ wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/xdman/files/xdm-jre-64bit.tar.xz
$ tar -xvf xdm-jre-64bit.tar.xz
$ cd xdm
$ ls -l
$ ./xdm

32-Bit:

$ wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/xdman/files/xdm-jre-32bit.tar.xz
$ tar -xvf xdm-jre-32bit.tar.xz
$ cd xdm
$ ls -l
$ ./xdm

You need Java to make it work and to check if you have it already jut type:

java -version
in your Linux terminal.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Software”