Desktop Virtualization

What do you have and what do you want?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Desktop Virtualization

Postby Snorkasaurus » 10 Sep 2015, 23:56

Greetings Earthlings,

In a recent unrelated post, viking60 was recommending VirtualBox as a desktop virtualization solution. I have actually been using VirtualBox for some time now but have used others in the past. I was wondering if anyone here had gone through the process of testing out available desktop virtualization software lately and if they still thought that VirtualBox was the best available. I do recall that the ability to drag and drop between host and guest was a feature I really missed when I left VMWare Workstation for VirtualBox, but I guess I have since become accustomed to just using a shared drive (local or network) as a transition area instead. Any thoughts or suggestions?

s.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Desktop Virtualization

Postby viking60 » 11 Sep 2015, 09:51

Greeting Martian :-D

I have actually not tried Vmware so it is lack of experience here.
Virtualbox is in the repos and easy to install while vmware can be somewhat more challenging.

It can be downloaded and installed from the Vmware site but I never am sure of the trial/license stuff for VMware Workstation Pro. And I am not even sure how it differs from Vmware player

I know those Vmware guys think of Vmware almost as an OS that can be used to load other OS's. Some servers - Like Dell - come with VMware and it lets you pick howto install Windows or Linux (on the Dell meeting I attended it was all about Windows).
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Software”