Life on the bleeding edge - Docker Linux containers

What do you have and what do you want?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Life on the bleeding edge - Docker Linux containers

Postby viking60 » 17 Mar 2014, 10:36

Redhat is going for Sandboxes or Linux containers and have started a "sandboxing tech" certification. The technology used is Docker.

Here is the announcement. As you can see they are using stupid words like trust in the cloud etc. The fact of the matter is that you are giving up control every time you put something in "the cloud" and simply have to trust the "cloud operator" and clouds are infiltrated and polluted these days.
Still we will be forced to use it in some shape or form - and this one seems better than many alternatives.

From the look and feel of it - Docker resembles Git. And it has a certain appeal so do as I did and take this online tutorial without peeking.
It is an online terminal where you have to complete some commands and you do get hints all the way. I could go on now and tell you about my experience - but lets turn it around - take the test and you tell me.
You will have to use apt-get in the test environment but it will be in your repos so you can find out in your distros Wiki how to adapt this to your system.

This is bleeding edge technology so it is not meant for production use yet - which will make you extremely cool and some of the first in the world to master this new technology.
And once that is the case - we need to find out what this can be used for... :think:

Here is a hint:
Where virtual machines each run a guest OS, Docker containerization shares the underlying host OS across all apps running in its sandboxes. It has a lower overhead than typical virtualization.

For instance, Docker could be used to run a database in one container and an app server in another, and the configurable isolation properties let an admin precisely dictate how information is passed between the two.

And yes! Docker runs on Windows too - kind of...Inside a VB
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Re: Life on the bleeding edge - Docker Linux containers

Postby Snorkasaurus » 19 Mar 2014, 20:10

The first paragraph of the docker.io Learn More page says
docker.io web site wrote:Docker is an open-source engine that automates the deployment of any application as a lightweight, portable, self-sufficient container that will run virtually anywhere.

I assume that means it is intended to serve as infrastructure for people (software developers) who want to charge for application use... or is there more to it than that?

S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Life on the bleeding edge - Docker Linux containers

Postby viking60 » 21 Mar 2014, 12:52

It will work cross distro on all distribution. Package once use everywhere. You simply have a small container with all dependencies and necessities so it will run.

I don't think charging is the main point - but the cross distro aspect. It is a lightweight container like VirtualBox but way more transportable because of the minimal size.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Software”