Clam Anti Virus

What do you have and what do you want?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Clam Anti Virus

Postby viking60 » 14 Jan 2014, 18:21

ImageClamAV is a free AV program for Linux and Windows. It is often recommended by Linux users because it is open source. But it is not that easy install point and click software.

It may or may not be possible to install clamtk on your distro which gives you a GUI. But nevertheless you must edit the config files to make it work.

I installed clamAV and looked for the files /etc/clamav/freshclam.conf and /etc/clamav/clamd.conf, which are the ones that need to be altered.

So happily I entered

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/clamav/freshclam.conf
and...it was not there :shock: same thing with clamd.conf.
I did have /etc/clamav/freshclam.conf.sample and /etc/clamav/clamd.conf.sample so I copied them over to freshclam.conf and clamd.conf

cp /etc/clamav/freshclam.conf.sample /etc/clamav/freshclam.conf

and

cp /etc/clamav/clamd.conf.sample /etc/clamav/clamd.conf

Now I could enter the file and comment out the word "Example" at the beginning of the file:

##
## Example config file for freshclam
## Please read the freshclam.conf(5) manual before editing this file.
##

# Comment or remove the line below.
#Example <--- this needs to be commented out for clamAV to work

# Path to the database directory.
# WARNING: It must match clamd.co.......

Same procedure in clamd.conf and I was ready to go.

The first thing I wanted to do was to update the virus definitions so I did this in a terminal:

freshclam

I got this error

ERROR: Can't open /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log in append mode (check permissions!

So I chmoded the directory to 777

chmod -R 777 /var/lib/clamav/

Maybe I could have used sudo - and 755 would probably be sufficient - but that is what I did.
I repeated freshclam in a terminal and the virus database was refreshed. :dance1
You need to do this even if you have the clam GUI - clamtk - installed.

So time for my first scan then. I wanted to scan my mail so I scanned the .thunderbird directory :

clamscan -r -i .thunderbird

The -r or--recursive Scans directories recursively. All the subdirectories in the given directory will be scanned and the -i or --infectedOnly print infected files.

You can simply do a

clamsan .thunderbird
to only check that directory without the subdirectories.

And true enough if found a (Windows)virus:

[viking@thomas-pc ~]$ clamscan -r -i .thunderbird
.thunderbird/0xsvi6ot.default/Mail/mail.bjoernvold-1.com/Inbox: Email.Trojan-465 FOUND

So to remove it I repeated the command and added

--remove
like this

clamscan -r -i .thunderbird --remove

And that went like a charm:

[viking@berserk-pc ~]$ clamscan -r -i .thunderbird --remove
.thunderbird/0xsvi6ot.default/Mail/mail.bjoernvold-1.com/Inbox: Email.Trojan-465 FOUND
.thunderbird/0xsvi6ot.default/Mail/mail.bjoernvold-1.com/Inbox: Removed.

I could have entered that command in the first place to scan and remove the viruses in one operation - but I like to see the findings first since there is such a thing as false positives.

So yes ClamAV is a good AV even if it is not the easiest to set up - once you have done it - it works.
You can start it as a service(daemon) - with:

sudo systemctl enable clamd.service

and then start it with:

sudo systemctl start clamd.service

This does not apply for Ubuntu but for all the other systemd distros out there.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Re: Clam Anti Virus

Postby jkerr82508 » 14 Jan 2014, 20:54

In Mageia, clamav, freshclam and clamtk all work "out of the box". No further configuration is needed. This is how it was for years in Mandriva. Other "user-friendly" distros may do something similar.

Jim

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 14 Jan 2014, 22:11

Thanks Jim.
That is a good thing - I thought the "activation" and update of the database was a license thing since it is hard to imagine why else they would actively disable a working configuration by adding a line containing "Example"-. :think:

In any case; if it does not work this might help for troubleshooting.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

jkerr82508
Guru-Berserk

Postby jkerr82508 » 14 Jan 2014, 23:20

viking60 wrote:That is a good thing - I thought the "activation" and update of the database was a license thing since it is hard to imagine why else they would actively disable a working configuration

Yes. Mageia gives this warning:

clamav-0.95+ bundles support for RAR v3 in "libclamav" without permission,
from Eugene Roshal of RARlabs. There is also patent issues involved.
Therefore Mageia has been forced to remove the offending code.

Jim

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Clam Anti Virus - finding and setting UID and GID

Postby viking60 » 14 Jun 2015, 07:57

I did chmod clamscan to 777 -just to make it work but on every update I did get a warning that my "chmoding" was different from the package which was 755.
Just chmoding the files to 755 would not work though. :C

So the correct way to do it is to set the rights like this:

chown UID:GID /var/lib/clamav & chmod 755 /var/lib/clamav

..but what does UID:GID mean and how can I find it on my system - right?

UID means User ID and GID means Group ID and you will find them on your system like this.

id -u viking
and

id -g viking

Well I am viking: if you are average_joe then you would type id -u average_joe :-D in fact if you simply do a id -u you will get the UID of the user that you are logged in as.

So in my case id -u was 1001 and id -g was 100 - now I have the information to give me those elevated rights without "chmoding" everything to 777 (aka "all the rights in the world for all"):
:tux5:

sudo chown 1001:100 /var/lib/clamav & chmod 755 /var/lib/clamav

You may also have to get access to the log:

sudo chown 1001:100 /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log

That works!

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Clam Anti Virus - everyday life

Postby viking60 » 19 Aug 2016, 13:25

I often discover viruses in My ~/.thunderbird directory so I try to remember to scan it. Other than that I never find any viruses.

~/.thunderbird/ clamscan -r -i --remove

This scans and only reports infected files -- and removes them.
The result is like this:

/home/viking/.thunderbird/0xsvi6ot.default/Mail/mail.bjoernvold.com/Junk: Heuristics.Phishing.Email.SpoofedDomain FOUND
/home/viking/.thunderbird/0xsvi6ot.default/Mail/mail.bjoernvold.com/Junk: Removed.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 19 Aug 2016, 18:17

I never used Clam Anti Virus... since you have it; is it worth it? I am asking because never had the need so far. I use plain text as replies and remove a lot of the fluff.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 20 Aug 2016, 06:51

Well you don't need it but the viruses found in the mailbox may infect your Windows using friends.

It is not worth spending the juice to make it a running daemon. If you are dual booting with Windows then you could monitor your WIndows side and find and remove viruses there.

Just updating and scanning once in a while is good enough here. We are still talking WIndows viruses here since there are practically non for Linux.

So I guess the honest answer is that you don't need it.

On a classical server like Centos it makes sense though since lots of Windows users may access and it is used by LMD

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 20 Sep 2018, 11:51

I had problems updating the virus database today.

freschclam

did come up with:
Update failed. Your network may be down or none of the mirrors listed in freshclam.conf is working

So basically that means that I am out of luck since clam has tried every possible mirror.

The solution:
:drummer
:drummer

cd /var/lib/clamav

2 remove all content in it to force Clamav to generate new mirrors and files and signatures etc - like this:

rm -r

3 Run

freshclam -a
again

Et Viola it will generate the new data and download the database so you can run your good old clamscan -a again :whistle:

chrispeddler

Postby chrispeddler » 20 May 2019, 08:27

Is Clamscan as good (or better) as the other well-known AV available out there? Any takeaways?

Return to “Software”