Wilko Johnson

What do we like? Where do we get it? What are you listening to?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Wilko Johnson

Postby dedanna1029 » 25 Mar 2013, 18:59

I have been following closely this very courageous man since he announced he had terminal cancer (before that, not like I probably should have), and his ensuing farewell tours, with tears, both for the good, and for the bad. It's interesting that we here, have remained silent on this. I was hoping to go to his Glasgow gig, but unfortunately it wasn't in the cards. :(
He's cancelled the last two gigs of his Farewell tour, citing that he's not feeling up to continuing.
I'm very much hoping that he'll bounce back to return. It remains to be seen.
For those who can get a proxy to view the BBC, he's here playing with Madness.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Wilko Johnson

Postby dedanna1029 » 03 Aug 2013, 07:08

Tears of joy, as Wilko Johnson has beat the odds and is hitting the road again! :)

I suspect with all the good he's doing through this, he'll still be there when I get back to Europe, and I can finally see him perform. Good comes back to people. Sometimes it takes time, but he's got a lot of good to come back 'round to him.

Terminally-ill musician WILKO JOHNSON has defied the odds by hitting the road again just months after retiring because of his failing health.

The former Dr. Feelgood guitarist, 66, was diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer last year (12) and he embarked on a farewell tour to enjoy one last round of gigs with his fans.

He was forced to cut the trek short by two gigs and retire early after taking a turn for the worse in March (13), but he has now shocked fans by returning for another handful of shows.

Last month (Jul13), he performed in his native Essex and Oxfordshire, and now he has announced shows at the Wickham Festival in Hampshire on Sunday (04Aug13) followed by three more gigs later this month (Aug13).

Johnson says, "After we did our farewell tour in April (sic), I did retire. But after a little while I didn't like this retirement business. I'd walk along the road and just be a bloke. I didn't like it. I'm a rock musician, I don't want to be walking down to the corner shop and getting a pint of milk. I'm a rock star!"

I know that I myself couldn't be happier, and with all he's going through, he does seem to be looking pretty good!

I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Music”