Reform for Linux

We support it, we talk about it and we love it

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

iceycooler9
Viking

Reform for Linux

Postby iceycooler9 » 22 Mar 2010, 02:06

Here is the .pdf i made (i can't find how to make attachments in this forum) so here is a link http://www.mediafire.com/?kog4yyoejz0

Please comment

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Reform for Linux

Postby viking60 » 22 Mar 2010, 02:25

Ok you have some prepared thoughts there:
Bloat is not necessarily a problem. It is the GUI Windows approach that people want. This will not get better as Linux grows. It makes life easier.
Also the purists among die hard Linux geeks can strip down their Linux too almost nothing - as Linus Torvalds put it:

"One thing that I forgot to mention, but which is critical to the success of Linux, is that there really is no such thing as monolithic "Linux." Linux is highly modular and can be trimmed down/beefed up to fit a wide variety of applications...on the developers' terms, not Red Hat's, Novell's, Canonical's, etc.

So, unlike Windows, which can only be what Microsoft dictates, Linux can truly be all things to all people, as "fat" or as "skinny" as the developer wants it to be. Ubuntu is obese compared to sub-100 KB uClinux distributions, for example. Both serve different, and useful, purposes.
"
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

iceycooler9
Viking

Postby iceycooler9 » 22 Mar 2010, 02:45

ya the kernel is pretty small, but im not specifically talking about the kernel, i am talking about in general (like the distros, desktop environment, GUI tools, media players.)

i don't think more GUI automatically equals more bloat either, i mean look at Vista and 7, Windows 7 has more GUI tools and new features, but its actually pretty fast compared to Vista (the fat man who can't catch up even if a Twinkie was in front of it). Reason? Compare the registry, optimization, file system improvements, background tasks, and all those things of Vista and 7 and you will find out why.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 22 Mar 2010, 03:03

Moving to Open Source. This should turn out to be a pretty good Linux discussion in general.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 22 Mar 2010, 03:31

Out of the mouths of babes. :)

Linux has become an OS of not such great reputation; the devels argue with the users, the users and devels all argue against each other, and sometimes it's over one single trivial package, that probably should be included with another group of packages, or should be dropped altogether. If the packages that are similar to what one wants to do, then they should be dropped, and their features be requested to be added to the main package that's already there, IMHO. There is no standardization in Linux, this is true. Sometimes "Open Source" can mean that we over-run ourselves with crap. There's too much choice (know how it feels when you're wading through just the ingredients list for something you're considering buying? Or being in a restaurant that has 100 burgers; which one do you want?), and I've seen it get to the ridiculous point, for sure.

We should all be fighting for Linux, not against each other with it.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 23 Mar 2010, 22:22

I want the biggest one! The Big Burger?
And amen to fighting for Linux +1 Ubuntu Suse Mandriva Arch Fedora Gentoo we are all one big family.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

b1o
IT and IS Guru-Berserk

Postby b1o » 25 Mar 2010, 01:46

well bloated code isn't realy a problem in GNU/LINUX since you can change everything to what YOU need.
you can install it with just the kernel, wont serve you any good but you can, and that kernel you can strip down again to do even less. The point is a distro is not the same as gnu/linux as you can make your own Distros for gnu/linux.

we should also try to call it GNU/LINUX in the future as linux is just the last piece of the pussle of the entire system. G(nu)N(ot)U(nix) is the system linux is the kernel
CPU: i7 950 3.1 ghz |RAM: 12 GB DDR3 |Graphics: Nvidia Geforce gtx 280 |motherboard: Rampage II Extreme |OS: Arch + windows7

Just remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, until you ask it

Return to “Open source”