Openbox

What do you have and what do you want?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Openbox

Postby viking60 » 02 Oct 2012, 14:03

Here it is. There are some error messages there that are not Openbox related, but more of a Cooker thing :-D This is Mandriva 2012 (Cooker) i686
Have a close look at how I am snapping Firefox from one wall to the next - I do it by holding the Super(Windows) key and pressing the arrows. It snaps the active window to the top Bottom right and left - and that is quite useful when you need a part of the desktop to right click on to get a menu.
:A
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 02 Oct 2012, 15:28

:bowlol Image
That looks quite flexible and powerful. :s Gizmo is so quick on the bongos! :coffee_smile:
:greetings I see the multiple desktops and good that ksnapshot can be installed. That video helps me understand better what is "snapping". When I get my really important homework done, I'll try to configure an Open box login from, as much as possible, scratch.
:T One more thing. Can klipper be put on the desktop?

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 02 Oct 2012, 16:50

Klipper can be put on the tint2 panel by adding
klipper &
to autosstart. I use parcellite myself.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 02 Oct 2012, 17:26

Thanks. :think: I'll have to take a look at parcellite, too. Image

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 02 Oct 2012, 17:31

:lolup
And I will take the opportunity to state that this snap is a bit more advanced that the aero snap heavily marketed by this company
As You can see they have not been able to snap it to the top or bottom like we have here Image
And cairo dock has a folder function on the desktop itself, where you can drag and drop contents of the clipboard....
Regarding cairo dock it can be altered to different looks and layouts - I find the Humanity-Dock look quite fitting. It stays nicely behind the windows and is only there when you need it.
And then again - you do not need cairo-dock at all ... :think:
In fact I think I prefere this clean look after a killall cairo-dock
(It does not mater much: I can have both if my mood changes - that is the beauty of this higly flexible thing.)
Aeorsnap is also flexible; try the combo CTRL+ ARROWS
I will not be using Gnome or KDE on a daily basis anymore....

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 03 Oct 2012, 23:27

Ok, openbox is already installed and I have used it in lxde. There was an lxde-rc.xml in ~/.config/openbox so I deleted that, then copied the defaults from /etc/xdg/openbox.....copy/paste, copy/paste yay :berserkf Logging back and forth from KDE as right-click the bare desktop doesn't help me for the initial configurations. Once I learn the W-F* for choosing a desktop or C-A-arrow for paging them, it's a little easier. :berserk2

The tint2 panel looked a little small and I couldn't see any way to make it bigger, easily, like plasma-kicker, so I installed the cairo-dock packages, all 50 of them. What I am used to is single-click in the panel/systray for different desktop, different window, clock, calendar, etc. Cairo dock looks really complex and hopeful to give me my choices but the first problem is the black rectangle that blocks out a part of all of my full-screen windows, like Seamonkey. There is some help info that I need to activate compiz or some other desktop effects but I don't see how to do that. I see you tell that "I find the Humanity-Dock look quite fitting. It stays nicely behind the windows and is only there when you need it." and maybe I should try that.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 03 Oct 2012, 23:34

install Xcompmgr and your black background will be gone....
Add

Code: Select all

xcompmgr -c &
to your ~/-config/openbox/autostart file before cairo-dock &
Unless you can get your hands on Cairo Composite Manager which is more heavily developed - but I have not found anything that would fit in Mandriva.

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 04 Oct 2012, 00:28

Thanks. :s That xcompmgr did the trick and 'Rings' theme is very clean. I already made a custom launcher for Seamonkey. +1

However, in whatever theme, so far, when I click on the logout icon, it jumps around, makes fireworks, but nothing happens. I have to go to the right-click menu to get a logout. :(

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 04 Oct 2012, 01:00

You can right click it and edit.
Under configuration you can do your init 9 magic or add some other command like simple me who added poweroff :-D (what is the command for logg off? I guess you can always pkill yourself.)
Regarding launchers I have mad sub-panels like Internet and Office and put all the browsers etc.. in them.

rolf
Guru-Berserk

Postby rolf » 04 Oct 2012, 01:24

Ok, I'll look into that, thanks. At some point, after choosing the rings theme, the desktop background changed by itself to what I have in KDE

with all sorts of program icons having no picture. I deleted all of those (except I can't delete the Nautilus icon :f ) and will see what happens when I log into KDE. As it is, the application launcher is now a Gnome application launcher and right-click the desktop gives me this menu:
Image :confused

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 04 Oct 2012, 06:15

Hmm...It looks like Nautilus is handling your desktop. Taking some time to think... :think:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 04 Oct 2012, 08:41

Finished :idea:
Try putting this in your autostart

Code: Select all

# Disable Nautilus desktop.
gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false &
# Do not let Nautilus set the background image.
gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/background/draw_background false &

I just stole it from here

And maybe just setting your background with feh will do it....(try this first).

I just remembered that the cairo dock settings have an "integrate with Gnome" setting under "system"; you might want to try to uncheck that too (I have it checked though, without the Nautilus takeover)

Return to “Software”