MS loves Linux...continued

Everything about it! Heard the news? What! is Ubuntu bankrupt? Has Mandriva started marketing? Have you taken a sky diving course?
We just need to know! No flaming! And we hate spammers -Get it?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

MS loves Linux...continued

Postby viking60 » 29 Sep 2015, 19:26

Well I have this newfound tolerance and found that a dialog with Microsoft would be appropriate now that we have the love for Linux in common.
There are some tangents where both Windows and Linux info is required like Samba and Python ++ so I happily danced away to the Microsoft support site because I wanted to ask a question:
namely:
Is there a way to add a folder to the windows path in the cmd window?

This can be done via the control panel but, setting it for the session only can be done directly in cmd - so I wanted this command that would make it stick from the cmd-line.
So as a said happily surfing to the Microsoft support site and....
:A

Eh some love.. that is...

So Microsoft; your Boss loves Linux and your services run on Linux - you need to fix this.
And after all the "not breaching privacy marketing" how come that your site control the OS?
In the mean time you can answer here :-D
:A
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Re: MS loves Linux...continued

Postby Snorkasaurus » 29 Sep 2015, 19:49

The answer provided in this post at SO works on Windows 7 for me. You could be asking about an earlier version of Windows, but I am pretty sure the folks at microsoft.com don't answer questions about earlier versions either. :-)

s.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 29 Sep 2015, 20:39

So running cmd as admin and a

Code: Select all

setx /M PATH "%PATH%;<your-new-path>

would worK after a reboot too? If that is the case then my question is answered anyway. :s

In case of fciv it would be like this then:

setx /M PATH "%PATH%;C:\fciv
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 29 Sep 2015, 21:56

viking60 wrote:would worK after a reboot too?

I am very confident that it will, though I did not test a reboot. What I did was go look at the registry key quoted in the post... hmmm, it isn't in the post. Okay, so the reg key is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment\Path

I basically checked the contents of that key, ran the command, and re-checked the key. The value had been updated with the path I added in the command. It is my impression that would survive a reboot. :-)

s.

Return to “The Lounge”