IBM saving money by using Mac

Not the Beatles record company. Not the fruit.. What could it be...

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

IBM saving money by using Mac

Postby viking60 » 16 Oct 2015, 11:02

The complete mystery why anyone would like to overpay for a Mac is solved:
IBM is rolling out Mac to many of their employees and it turns out that only 5 % of the Mac users have to call support. For Windows users the figure is 40 %.
So that would make Mac a sensible solution.

The picture may be a bit clouded by the fact that Apple and IBM have joined forces but nevertheless these figures do speak for Mac's in comparison with Windows PC's.
(There is no telling if it is the superiority of the Mac, or the superiority of the IBM interop setup that causes this though)

Or maybe it is that Mac users are geniuses? :think:

The IBM/Apple cooperation will have some impact on corporate customers and must represent a big headache in Richmond. The big customers may be gone leaving smaller companies and common Joe''s.

Microsoft proclaiming love to everybody will not change that:
It is a fact that IBM has loved Linux for many years - in action and in words - where MS have offered mainly words so far.

So even in that department MS is beaten. Mac is stepping in on a classic Microsoft market here.
There are many big corporate customers that have used IBM machines with Windows PC terminals for years. If those PC's get replaced with Mac's then we have an important shift in market shares.

There is no reason to doubt that Apple and IBM will manage the interop part.

While I always have been sceptical of Apples expensive "dancing deodorant with white teeth" style; IBM has delivered (expensive) quality, which is more respectable +1 .

Those corporate customers can look forward to some great big Invoices though...
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: IBM saving money by using Mac

Postby R_Head » 16 Oct 2015, 12:54

Makes me wonder, why IBM if they are good enough to have IAX server OS, they cannot come up with their very own corporate proprietary workstation OS and pick the hardware of choice.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 16 Oct 2015, 13:14

They have tried with OS2 etc and in the old days there were dedicated terminals which worked fine. Then came the trend of using traditional computers as workstations too or the "age of emulation". IBM made perfect 5250 emulation to PC that worked fine++.
Kind of two for the price of one. They are doing this for Apple now and that is a significant difference.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 16 Oct 2015, 16:59

Heck, about security using your very own desktop OS is a way better choice.

I think this is a PR campaign for Apple using IBM. However, this goes unnoticed, people are more engaged with the Kardashians type of bullcrap than this :lol:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 16 Oct 2015, 20:29

Sure; IBM and Apple have a joint venture so they are going to elevate each other - so yes PR campaign it is.

IBM are the quality guys and Apple are the Marketing guys different strengths. It will help Apple to expand from the fashion and design market and IBM will get an acceptance for their "boring" products.

Making Apple more serious and IBM more fashionable aka win win.

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 20 Oct 2015, 13:29

Spot on my dear Scandinavian friend :cheers

Return to “Apple”