Types of networks

Well its a networking forum.... #"@! Atheros drivers...

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Types of networks

Postby dedanna1029 » 29 Jan 2012, 21:12

There are two main types of networks, peer-to-peer, and client/server. A question for school, is when the area is gray as to what type of network you're working on: Take for instance the servers for forums. I am assuming they would be client/server for security reasons, but am not 100% on it. Am I right?

No worries, you are not answering a test question or anything. I'm just trying to put the info in this chapter into place that I'm reading on this. Servers have always eluded me.

Thanks.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Types of networks

Postby viking60 » 29 Jan 2012, 21:37

dedanna1029 wrote:There are two main types of networks, peer-to-peer, and client/server. A question for school, is when the area is gray as to what type of network you're working on: Take for instance the servers for forums. I am assuming they would be client/server for security reasons, but am not 100% on it. Am I right?

Yes you are.

Internet forums are on a server.
per to per is direct communications between PC's; you use it for sharing files in your network etc. Torrents use this too.
This is the very short version though....
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Jan 2012, 03:33

Thanks. I may be asking about other things as I think of them. This course is dragging for me. It's the one where time goes the slowest, is the earliest in the morning, and you wonder if you'll ever get anywhere in understanding any of it. The textbook itself prepares us for certification (Network+ Guide to Networks, Fifth Edition, by Tamara Dean), and it's something that I really don't give a flip about being certified in. I took it because all I wanted to know was how to run me a very basic and simple server, something that has never clicked after all these years in computing. I honestly don't think I'll ever be able to remember everything in this course. :p

R_Head
Berserk

Postby R_Head » 30 Jan 2012, 14:45

Is depending on what the node is doing.

Here is how I see it...

When a Node connects to another and communicate, is Peer To Peer.
When a Node connects to Multiple systems is a Server.

A Server or a Personal Computer is hardware irrelevant. What makes a Server a Server is/are the services provided by the system.

You can convert any node to advertise a service and becomes a server. In my IT days, we used to use a PC with a Share Directory as a Ghosting Server. Worked really well.

A server does not need to be the most powerful computer in the Network; that is a misconception.

Return to “Networking”