Fantom Ransom virus camouflaged as Win update

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Fantom Ransom virus camouflaged as Win update

Postby viking60 » 06 Sep 2016, 08:24

The latest Ransom virus works pretty much like every other ransom virus:
It scans your computer and encrypts your documents, images, videos and audio ++ and then you have to pay to get them back in the shape of the encryption key.

The Fantom Ransom virus puts the extension ".fantom" on the files. While it is doing its dirty work it presents a Windows update screen. Since the whole planet is drilled on the importance of Windows updates; people will not interrupt the process.

Your desktop wallpaper will be replaced with info on who to contact and "terms of payment".

The bad news is that there is virtually no way to decrypt this without paying the ransom.... and paying ransom is not recommendable... :wall:

So the boring tip would be to make backups and play them back if you are victim to the fraud. :tux5:

Naturally you need to keep your backups on a different location detached from your computer.

- Don't open suspicious email attachments.

- Use AV programs.

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

R_Head
Berserk

Re: Fantom Ransom virus camouflaged as Win update

Postby R_Head » 06 Sep 2016, 13:15

The Russians sure know their stuff when it comes to computing and rocketry... +1

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Fantom Ransom virus camouflaged as Win update

Postby viking60 » 06 Sep 2016, 21:24

I dunno about that but Kaspersky has always been good though.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Win News”