Windows 10 update auto downloads

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Windows 10 update auto downloads

Postby viking60 » 14 Sep 2015, 08:28

If you have Windows 7 or higher, then Microsoft will use your bandwidth for downloading Windows 10 updates whether you want it or not.

This is a part of the service if you have opted to receive automatic updates.
According to a report from the Inquirer, Microsoft has confirmed that it automatically downloads Windows 10 into upgrade-eligible Windows PCs, regardless of whether users opted-in to the free upgrade or not. Reports from such users indicate that upgrade files, ranging from 3.5 to 6GB in disk space, were downloaded and stored in the rather secluded ~BT folder, wasting both disk space and valuable, metered bandwidth. According to some of the victims, this unprovoked behavior caused their monthly bandwidth allowances to cap.

Then you will be prompted to update by those MS popups regularly.

Windows belongs in a Virtual machine under Linux IMO because there the tampering with the hardware is not such a big problem.

It is not a big problem that Microsoft offers updates, but doing it without informing you is somewhat sneaky:
The prime issue here isn’t necessarily what they did, or what they’re planning, but the lack of transparency. None of these actions were what you’d call “marketing points”, and the discoveries of these features were not announced directly by Microsoft itself in advance, but by keen users.

The biggest problem with this is that Microsoft needs to build confidence after PRISM. Marketing "trust us" takes more than money and TV time:
Still, it really begs the question: just what else is Microsoft doing with our computers behind the scenes? And at what point will they have gone too far? Or has the company crossed that line already?

Microsoft may not even have a choice in the matter as their official response to PRISM shows:
Finally when we upgrade or update products legal obligations may in some circumstances require that we maintain the ability to provide information in response to a law enforcement or national security request. There are aspects of this debate that we wish we were able to discuss more freely. That’s why we’ve argued for additional transparency that would help everyone understand and debate these important issues

More here
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Windows 10 update auto downloads

Postby dedanna1029 » 14 Sep 2015, 10:30

I did find a place (well, my roomie did), to turn off auto-updates in Win 10, btw. I'll post it when I can get with roomie again. They are presently trying to get me to upgrade, but haven't upgraded me.
I have a sneaky suspicion on that. I'm wondering about those updates you talked about that phone home. I haven't installed those upgrades, and I'm wondering if since M$ therefore can't phone home as well, if that's stopping the auto-upgrade to Win 10.
I am however presently trying to get a full backup done on this system just in case.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 14 Sep 2015, 10:55

This might do it:
Step 1
Windows 7
Download this patch
:A
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065987

Windows 8.1
:A
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3065988

Download and reboot.

Step 2
Open the registry editor (Regedit) and find:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\
Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

If it is not there; you might have to create "WindowsUpdate".

Then create a new 32-bit DWORD called DisableOSUpgrade and set its value to 1

That should fix it - but we cannot be sure.

Another option is not to set the system to auto-update but to let you choose what updates to install.

To check if you already have that installer downloaded; you can check for the hidden folder $WINDOWS.~BT

It will be big as in about 6G.

if you have the KB3035583 update installed it will create this folder. +1
And the Windows 10 installer will be downloaded to it.

Deleting the folder will not help much since it will be recreated by Windows update.

To avoid this you need to de-install the KB3035583 update then you can remove the folder.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 14 Sep 2015, 20:42

viking60 wrote:If you have Windows 7 or higher, then Microsoft will use your bandwidth for downloading Windows 10 updates whether you want it or not.

This is a part of the service if you have opted to receive automatic updates.
According to a report from the Inquirer, Microsoft has confirmed that it automatically downloads Windows 10 into upgrade-eligible Windows PCs, regardless of whether users opted-in to the free upgrade or not. Reports from such users indicate that upgrade files, ranging from 3.5 to 6GB in disk space, were downloaded and stored in the rather secluded ~BT folder, wasting both disk space and valuable, metered bandwidth. According to some of the victims, this unprovoked behavior caused their monthly bandwidth allowances to cap.

Then you will be prompted to update by those MS popups regularly.

Windows belongs in a Virtual machine under Linux IMO because there the tampering with the hardware is not such a big problem.

It is not a big problem that Microsoft offers updates, but doing it without informing you is somewhat sneaky:
The prime issue here isn’t necessarily what they did, or what they’re planning, but the lack of transparency. None of these actions were what you’d call “marketing points”, and the discoveries of these features were not announced directly by Microsoft itself in advance, but by keen users.

The biggest problem with this is that Microsoft needs to build confidence after PRISM. Marketing "trust us" takes more than money and TV time:
Still, it really begs the question: just what else is Microsoft doing with our computers behind the scenes? And at what point will they have gone too far? Or has the company crossed that line already?

Microsoft may not even have a choice in the matter as their official response to PRISM shows:
Finally when we upgrade or update products legal obligations may in some circumstances require that we maintain the ability to provide information in response to a law enforcement or national security request. There are aspects of this debate that we wish we were able to discuss more freely. That’s why we’ve argued for additional transparency that would help everyone understand and debate these important issues

More here

I'm about to wipe and load with Linux completely, decided to play with Win 10 before I do, so it's upgrade time. While the article you refer to may be true, I have to run to their defense this time. You don't have to upgrade, just tell it you will later, get the files, and go on about your business:

Insofar as auto-updates go, it was a place in the GUI, I'm thinking somewhere in either Admin Tools or Control Panel. I haven't had chance to ask roomie, who has them turned off, but when I'm upgraded I'll find it anyway.
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 15 Sep 2015, 00:05

You don't' have to upgrade but the installer is downloaded to your box.
That is a bit of an overkill for anyone who has decided not to update.- 6 G of space taken for nothing...

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 15 Sep 2015, 02:19

It only wanted to take 2.7 GBs for me. I think it depends on what one has installed, how much upgrading there is to actually do.

I still haven't got up the guts. I will by the end of tomorrow though.

Then, Windows will go away from this box altogether, depending on if I can find kernel+wireless.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Sep 2015, 00:44

I'm beginning to get a bit schizy on the Windows 10 upgrade. I haven't done it, and uninstalled the updates that prompt its installation. That *seems* to have done it, but when I go into the Windows Update program itself it still asks to upgrade to 10, and the update to 10 is auto-ticked. The reason I'm schizy on it, is I'm afraid I won't be able to dual boot with Linux once 10 is installed.

Just one question, the patches you mentioned above, we are to install them to help prevent the upgrade? Otherwise, what other things do they do? I'm confused at the page for the patch for 8.1. I can't tell for sure if it's a good thing or not.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 30 Sep 2015, 01:25

dedanna1029 wrote:Just one question, the patches you mentioned above, we are to install them to help prevent the upgrade?

+1
That is to prevent the download of the Win 10 installer.

I do think a Linux dual boot will be worse with Windows 10 but I have not tried it.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Sep 2015, 06:05

I think it would be too.
What I might as well do is do the upgrade, play with it for just a bit, then zero the drive and go back to 8.1. At least it would give me another memory refresher to zero the drive.
I know it's not a good idea just to reformat and go backwards. Zeroing the drive is the only way I can think to do it.
OR, I could upgrade, play with it until the kernel 4.2 is in full swing with the driver I need, once that's done, I can completely wipe 'n load, no more Windbloze.
No gods, no masters.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 30 Sep 2015, 08:48

There is no doubt that Microsoft has designed Windows 10 to further enhance the Windows exclusivity on computers. "Security" that excludes competition etc.
Once they get Win 10 on your computer - they are in total control. So it will be heavily marketed.
We se this excluding attitude already when we visit a MS support site with a Linux OS. There is no such control and exclusion of Windows on Linux support sites -or Mac support sites.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 30 Sep 2015, 22:08

+1
Exactly.
No gods, no masters.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 06 Oct 2015, 20:32

I downloaded it, it stated "this update is not applicable to your computer" when I went to install it.
No gods, no masters.

Return to “Win News”