Kernel 3.3 released

Linux pure!

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Kernel 3.3 released

Postby viking60 » 20 Mar 2012, 23:40

Summary: This release features as the most important change the merge of kernel code from the Android project. But there is more, it also includes support for a new architecture (TI C6X), much improved balancing and the ability to restripe between different RAID profiles in Btrfs, and several network improvements: a virtual switch implementation (Open vSwitch) designed for virtualization scenarios, a faster and more scalable alternative to the "bonding" driver, a configurable limit to the transmission queue of the network devices to fight bufferbloat, a network priority control group and per-cgroup TCP buffer limits. There are also many small features and new drivers and fixes are also available

More here...
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Re: Kernel 3.3 released

Postby dedanna1029 » 04 May 2012, 16:20

Question, why is it that most distro devels refuse to release the latest? I found this with Mandriva, with SuSe, and now Linux Mint:

Code: Select all

.:[ dedanna@dedanna : 08:43:21 : ~/Documents ]:.
:) uname -r
3.0.0-19-generic
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Kernel 3.3 released

Postby viking60 » 05 May 2012, 09:14

I guess it involves some work to package a distro, making sound etc work. Once they are finished they need to rest for 6 months. In Arch the kernel comes pretty fast. Once in a while that can break stuff like wifi in my case - (problem with ath drivers). There will be a solution in the forum to fix it pretty fast.
What I did was to install the LTS kernel, so whenever I get an unlikely problem with the new kernel I can fall back to LTS during boot.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Return to “Kernel”