What do you have and what do you want?

Moderators: b1o, jkerr82508

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Berserk MultiSystemCD tool!

Postby viking60 » 26 Aug 2014, 12:42

Yup SpaceFM is nice!
I started my torrent now so I will be seeding a bit today :-D
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.
"There are no stupid questions - Only stupid answers!"

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 02 Oct 2014, 00:10

viking60 wrote:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12631335/multicd.iso.torrent

Hey man... did you dump this torrent? I had a pretty nasty storm that blew up my torrent PC and when I rebuilt I am just getting a "stalled" status. Not complaining, just asking. :-)
S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 02 Oct 2014, 00:53

No My torrent software was not running - that is all. I'll run it from time to time to get the speed up. It is up now.
Manjaro 64bit on the main box -Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz and nVidia Corporation GT200b [GeForce GTX 275] (rev a1. + Centos on the server - Arch on the laptop.

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 02 Oct 2014, 01:04

Odd... as soon as the download started I paused the torrent, closed the app, copied the full iso in to the "incomplete" directory, started up the app again and resumed the torrent, and all was well. I just wasn't able to do it while you were not seeding. Oh well, it's all working now. :-)
S.

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 02 Oct 2014, 03:42

Hm yes this should work even if I am not seeding, :think:

viking60
Über-Berserk

Using the MultiREscueCD to recover Windows files

Postby viking60 » 25 Nov 2014, 02:47

Ok I need to write this down.
I have a friend who uses Windows 7. One day she could not log in because:
:A
"Could not log in to user profile service"

The login prompt is there and that information comes after the correct password is entered. According to Microsofts pages that can happen when a virus scan is ongoing or something like that - she does not know what caused it.

I tried to blank the password but that did not work - that computer is shutting everybody out :f
Now she wants me to throw out Windows 7 and install Linux - but first she needs me to copy all her pictures.

I used SystemrescueCD (one of the options on our multiCD), started the GUI with startx and checked the partitions in a terminal:

Code: Select all

fsarchiver probe simple

That listed the windows partitions nicely so I needed to mount one of them:

ntfs-3g -o ro /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows

This gives only read access so you can test without destroying data.
next I checked out the files:

cd /mnt/windows

then I typed

mc
in the terminal to start Midnight Commander since it makes it easier to browse the directories.
After I had identified the directories to copy I needed to copy them over the network with the sftp protocol (SSH)

All I had to do on the broken laptop running SystemRescueCD was to enter

passwd
in a terminal and enter a new password (twice).

Then I did a

ifconfig
to check out the IP.

Then I went to my box and opened pcmanfm and entered

ssh://10.0.0.55

And I was prompted for a username and password.
The user is root and the password was what I had registered.

And there I could browse all the pics I needed to save.

I splitted the file manager with F3 and dragged the directories over to my computer. :jackpot

It was really easy to fetch the data via the network.

If you want the details, have a look here
Edit:
On WIndows 8 and 10; Windows will not shut down but go into hibernation. This will prevent you from mounting the windows partition in read write mode.

This is called "fast start" and "fast shutdown" - and it is Default!
Check here to turn it off.

If that does not work then open a cmd window as administrator and enter:

powercfg /h off

viking60
Über-Berserk

Re: Berserk MultiSystemCD tool! The Ultimate version

Postby viking60 » 03 May 2015, 10:35

It is impossible to come up with a CD that takes care of all the requests - so I made The Ultimate Rescue DVD with all the goodies on there.

It has Clonezilla (latest 64 bit version)
Opendiagnostics-stable
NT Offline Password and registry Editor
Redo backup
Systemrescuecd latest version
Rescatux
Trinity Rescue Kit (License GNU-Gpl)
Trinity Rescue Kit "comes with" a set of (Anti Virus) programs that will be downloaded on the fly those programs have their own sets of licences that you may check.
These are:
Clam AV
F-Prot
BitDefender
Vexira
Avast

TRK will mount any ntfs-3g partition and scan it.With Avast you need to get a free license key first

Super_grub2_disk_hybrid
Memtest86. v4.20

All on one DVD !
That should pretty much take care off all your needs. So if you have the patience and the bandwith you can download this 1.8 GB monster (It will save you some day).

I have put this one up on Mega with an end to end encryption so it should be pretty impossible to tamper with (Pretty much the only cloud I can recommend - if that is even possible with a "cloud").

md5sum 2bfb69f1f4c99fffeb6fb3ea378d25de viking.iso
updated 26/03 - 2019 with the latest versions

Go to the directory where viking.iso is and type

md5sum viking.iso

Your sum should match the one above.

Here is the download :A
Image|

md5sum 2bfb69f1f4c99fffeb6fb3ea378d25de viking.iso

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 20 Aug 2015, 13:23

I noticed that there was a problem downloading the DVD - directly above - but it is fixed now. I think it should be possible to download it without having a Megasync account by chosing "download with browser".

In any case you can register and get 50GB for free with end to end encryption - so registering at Megasync is not violating your privacy and you get a lot for it.
(As always: Never trust any cloud blindly )

So download it, check the Md5sum and burn it to a DVD. If you are a Windows user you can burn it to DVD with CDBurnerXP or to USB with Rufus Linux users can use kb3, Brasero, Xfburn or whatever.

Unetbootin for "burning" to USB will work in both Windows and Linux. But the Linux guys can simply use the dd command:
To check out the USB as root:

fdisk -l

This will come up with something like /dev/sdbX.
You need to unmount it:

umount /dev/sdb1

And then burn the file to USB (this assumes that you are in the directory where viking.iso is):

dd bs=4M if=viking.iso of=/dev/sdb

Do it and save the disk/USB for a rainy day when your computer crashes - then it will save your Bacon.

..Or use it in the store to check if it is possible to boot them on one of those Microsoft "secure" computers... before you buy! +1

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 24 Aug 2015, 20:19

I'm unable to check right now, as I have a large download going on a somewhat flakey connection right now, but I'm wondering if you're keeping all of these cds/dvds up on torrent? I'd be willing to download and seed both; I'd like to get each one and seed it. Great tools there!
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

viking60
Über-Berserk

Postby viking60 » 25 Aug 2015, 16:48

I made a torrent but it is moody so I don't know if it works (see several posts above).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/126 ... so.torrent

Snorkasaurus
Berserk

Postby Snorkasaurus » 25 Aug 2015, 17:28

viking60 wrote:I noticed that there was a problem downloading the DVD - directly above - but it is fixed now. I think it should be possible to download it without having a Megasync account by chosing "download with browser".

It should be noted that you will have to accept cookies from mega.nz (whether you have an account or not) to see the "download with browser" button.
S.

dedanna1029
Sound-Berserk

Postby dedanna1029 » 25 Aug 2015, 17:38

viking60 wrote:I made a torrent but it is moody so I don't know if it works (see several posts above).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/126 ... so.torrent

Is this for all of them though?

Thanks!
I'd rather be a free person who fears terrorists, than be a "safe" person who fears the government.
No gods, no masters.
"A druid is by nature anarchistic, that is, submits to no one."
http://uk.druidcollege.org/faqs.html

Return to “Software”